Where do I start to describe this pinnacle of creation, this Ratatouille Casserole is one of the best dishes in the world, I can guarantee that to you. This Ratatouille Casserole recipe is a three stars Michelin revisited ratatouille concept. Ratatouille Casserole is a French signature dish that is solely made of vegetables with tomato as main ingredient and eggplants, bell peppers, zucchinis, garlic, olive oil and herbs. It is the best vegetarian dish that I have ever tried in my life, absolutely fantastic. You can have it as a side dish or you can have it as a main dish, server with pasta or rice. Personally I love this Ratatouille Casserole with pasta but it perfect with any combination of food as a side dish. Many thanks to Bruno Albouze for this awesome creation and don’t hesitate to try this Ratatouille Casserole, you will love it!
Best with organic vegetables
• 1 piece 7oz or 200g onion, chopped
• 2 pieces 7oz or 200g carrots, washed, unpeeled and chopped
• 2 pieces 3.5oz or 100g celery ribs, washed and chopped
• 1 Tbsp or 30g butter
• 1 Tbsp or 30ml olive oil
• 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
• 1 yellow and 1 red bell pepper, charred, peeled, seeds and ribs removed
• 1 poblano pepper and 2 chili peppers, charred, peeled, seeds and ribs removed
• 1 (28 ounces / 850g) chopped Roma tomato or can crushed tomato (preferably organic and fired roasted)
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
• 1 tsp herbes de Provence
• Salt, pepper to taste
• 6 fresh basil leaves
• The mixture can typically contain basil, thyme, savory,fennel and for the American market lavender, and other herbs by your desire.
• 2 yellow squash, sliced into 1/16-in. (2mm) rounds
• 2 zucchinis, sliced into 1/16-in. rounds
• 2 Japanese or Chinese eggplants, sliced into 1/16-in. rounds
• 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/16-in. rounds
• 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
• 1 tsp minced garlic)
• 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
• Salt, pepper to taste.
In a preheated oven on 425ºF – 220ºC roast your jalapeno and peppers for 40 minutes, you can also cook directly over the flame which is quicker .
When they are done, steam them so you can easily peel the skin off of them. Put the peeled and roasted peppers in a bowl for pastry and cover it with plastic wrap, or just put them in a freezer bag, leave them to steam for 15 minutes and then peel them easily with paper towels or your hands. Clean them from seeds and membranes, chopped them and they are ready.
Prepare the carrots,onion and celery by chopping them and mince the garlic. Put olive oil and butter in a large skillet, heat it up and cook the mixture of carrots, celery and
onions for 10 min on medium to high heat. You should be adding now one by one the chopped peppers, tomatoes, minced garlic, thyme bouquet, salt, pepper and the herbs.
Provence and proceed in the next 20 minutes cooking this mixture.
In a food processor, gently puree ratatouille mixture adding basil and then pour it back in the skillet.
Make rounds wide 1/16-in or 1,5 mm by cutting eggplants, zucchinis, yellow squashes and tomatoes and lay them over the ratatouille mixture arranged and strip then in the
order you want to like eggplants, tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash or the other way round. On the top, season it with olive oil, garlic, thyme seasoning, salt and pepper and
cover it with foil.
Preheat the oven on 280F or 140C, place the rack in the middle of the oven and put the skillet of ratatouille covered with foil to slowly cook for 3 hours. Then remove the foil
and continue to cook it for another 45 minutes on higher heat at 350F or 180C so all the vegetables can roast and caramelized which will make additional flavor.
Before serving you can sprinkle it with some fresh minced basil if its by your taste. Enjoy !!!
You can freeze the refrigerated for up to 5 days or you can froze only the mixture in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.