Photo credit: Daquella manera via Foter.com / CC BY
You probably didn’t know that when dining most of time we are making a lot of mistakes and they are almost always unintentional. Having good manners at the table is important thing especially if you on regular basis visiting restaurants. There are many thing that are important starting from the way you are sitting and the way you pick up the bread basket, the way you are holding your fork and knife and even they way you are sitting. In this post I will describe some of the most common mistakes that we are making when dining that we never knew about. Good table manners say a lot about you, about your personality and upbringing.
1. Always wait until everyone is seated and served before you start eating.
It is considered impolite to start eating before everyone is seated and served, always wait for the others to be seated and served before you start eating your meal. This is important to remember when you are dining in small group up to 8 people, in a large group of more than 8-10 people it may be impossible to wait for everyone to be seated, it will sometimes depend on the situation.
2. You probably know this but never ever talk with your mouth full, eating with your mouth full isn’t just an etiquette is something that not looks good at all, people really don’t want to look at half chewed food in your mouth, it isn’t sexy at all.If you need to say something while you are eating at least cover your mouth with your hand, say I’m sorry and after swallowing your food continue with the conversation.
3. The way you position your utensils in restaurant sends specific signals to the waitstaff, depending where you are, in America or Europe there are a couple of differences but in general this is the way to communicate with the waiter without saying a word. Good table manners say a lot about an individual’s’ personality and upbringing. It is important to know the right way to use the cutlery.
4. It is considered to be rude to add salt and pepper before tasting the food, always try your food and remember that great dishes are made in a way that they should be good as they are, it is not rude to add salt or pepper but always try your food first, who knows maybe it’s salty enough. Applying any condiments or seasoning before you tasted the food is viewed as lack of faith in the cook’s ability and sometimes it can be viewed as insult to the cook. And let’s not forget too much salt can really harm you, you should avoid salt as much as you can. On the other hand Black Pepper is really good, it is rich with copper, dietary fiber, iron, chromium and calcium.
5. Don’t place items on the table that are unrelated to the meal, and this is especially important about you phones. Forget about Facebook or Instagram for a moment and enjoy your dinner and your company. Keep you phones in your pocket, it is where they belong when dining, avoid placing items like cigarettes and lighters also on your table. I really agree sometimes, mobile phones can destroy humanity in people, put them away at least while dining, especially with friend and family.