There are many types of birthday cakes but this Cookies and Cream Mousse Cheesecake is really something different. It’s an excellent idea to surprise your children and family, and above all it is simple and easy to make. I’m a cheesecake lover, I make a lot of different ones and all that I can say about this Cookies and Cream Mousse Cheesecake is Perfection! The looks, the taste, the mix of ingredients and the complexity of making, everything about this cookies and cream mousse cheesecake. Having the crust from Oreo cookies was something that I was sceptic about. Don’t get me wrong, I love Oreos, any kind, but it is my opinion that you can’t just add them everywhere. I was wrong, oreo crust for this cake is amazing idea. It just gives this marvelous taste finish. Many thanks to Rosie’s Dessert Spot for providing us with this fantastic recipe.
- 650 grams or 23 oz. crushed Oreos (3/4 cup reserved for cream cheese mix)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of butter
- 500 grams or 18 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 550 ml whipping cream (1/2 cup reserved for decorating)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
For the ganache:
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 75 grams cream
- Mini Oreo cookies for decorating
- 20 grams white chocolate (for writing)
- Grease the inside of one 8 inch spring form pan with oil and line up with baking paper. Lay the spring form pan a cake board. Grind you Oreos cookies in a food processor, remember to set ¾ cup aside for the cream cheese mix.
- Add your grinded cookies in one large bowl, add the melted butter in the bowl and mix by hand until you can hold the mixture in little shapes.
- Drizzle a little melted chocolate or chocolate ganache on the cake board, don’t worry once the cake is cooled it will stick on the bottom of the cake. Add the cookie mixture on the bottom and press hard with your hand. You can level the crust with the back of a spoon. Once done set it in the freezer.
- In another large bowl add the cream cheese, add one tbsp. of vanilla extract. Beat with your mixer until soft. Add the Oreos cookies that you have reserved, and continue to mix until is combined.
- In another bowl add cream and sugar and mix well until small peaks are formed. Once done add your cookies and cream cheese mixture and incorporate well by mixing by hand with plastic spatula.
- Take your spring form pan out of the freezer and add the mixture in. Tap in on the counter sever time to release any air. Level the surface with your plastic spatula. Once done set the cake in the freezer overnight, it will be way easier to decorate your cake when cold.
- Next for the chocolate ganache add the chocolate and the cream in one bowl. Add the bowl in a microwave, for several 30 sec intervals heat the chocolate. Mix with a spoon until the chocolate and the cream are well incorporated.
- Add the chocolate ganache over you cake, use spatula to spread the chocolate evenly. The rest is up to you and your imagination. You can decorate your cake as you wish. You can follow the video to make the decoration as Rosie did, or you can do it as you wish.
Note: Remember that the less amount of cream you add into your cream cheese and your Oreo cookies mixture, the harder and denser the mousse will be. Always serve you Cookies and Cream Mousse Cheesecake cold. Use a sharp knife that has been sitting in hot water but dry the knife before cutting the cake. Then dip your knife in hot water before cutting again.